Saturday, March 26, 2011

Chicken Korma

Korma is a light, creamy and rich gravy which is traditionally used to cook  meats or vegetables in.  My Parents being vegetarian, raised me as one and needless to say I did not learn how to cook meat through my mother. In fact, I had tasted chicken dish only once or twice before I met my husband. He taught me few chicken and beef recipes and here is one of them.  This is a easy chicken korma recipe that is sure to become a favorite at your dinner table. Please do let me know how it turned out for you!

Ingredients
2 tbsp olive oil
2lbs hormone-free chicken (skinless, boneless and cubed)
½ tsp turmeric powder, ½ tsp garam masala
8 oz plain organic yogurt
2 tsp organic tomato paste
1 ½ cup finely chopped onions
10 -12 small cardamom pods, 1 stick cinnamon, 1 bay leaf, 1 tsp cumin seeds
½ inch ginger & 5 cloves of garlic, peeled and grated
Salt to taste, Fresh crushed black pepper
1 tsp coriander powder, 1 tsp cumin powder, 1 tsp red chili powder
Cilantro 1 tbsp chopped
½ cup water



Combine chicken pieces, turmeric, garam masala, salt and pepper in a plastic food storage bag. Once these spices and chicken are mixed, add in yogurt to coat the meat properly.  Let the meat marinate in fridge for 2 hours.
In a pan, heat oil. Add Cumin seeds, cinnamon and bay leaf; cook them for 1 min to release their fragrance.  Add onions and cook till golden-brown. 
Add crushed cardamom seeds, cumin and coriander powder, red chili powder, and ginger- garlic- tomato paste to cook for 1 min.
Now add Marinated chicken, ½ cup water and simmer this on low-medium heat for 20-30 with lid on the pan. Garnish with chopped cilantro right before serving.  Chicken korma is great with Basmati rice or whole-wheat naan bread.


No comments:

Post a Comment